Dubbed "Oscar", the latest version of WordPress has been released. WordPress 3.6 contains a number of new features and improvements, notably the following:
- New Twenty Thirteen theme. This updated theme is an art inspired update to the default theme for WordPress. While many choose to get a new theme from Themeforest, the new Twenty Thirteen theme has a number of well crafted design elements with a lot of polish added. It's also a responsive theme, which renders perfectly on all mobile devices.
- Revamped Revisions. Managing revisions is now easier than ever. The new system shows the previous revisions in a much neater format, allowing you to better compare previous versions if you need to roll back any changes.
- Post Locking and Augmented Autosave. For sites with mutliple authors and/or editors, these are long awaited features. The Post Locking adds the ability to prevent changes to a post you are editing and the Augmented Autosave gives each author their own autosave stream.
- HTML5 media player. With native audio and video support, this means that external libraries and plugins are now no longer required. There's also better support for Spotify, Rdio, and SoundCloud too, making it easier to create media rich websites.
- Improved Menu Editor. The existing Menu Editor has been tweaked to improve the ease of editing menus. It's only a small change but certainly a welcome one.
There are of course many other small changes, with over 700 bug fixes, improvements and new features. You can read all the full details of the changes on the WordPress website here.
All Conetix Managed WordPress customers will have their instances automatically updated over the next week so that you can take advantage of the changes!