Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is the best way to secure your account, once setup you will need to confirm your login with a MFA code. This article will help you through the first time setup of MFA on your Microsoft 365 account using an Authenticator App such as Microsoft Authenticator or Google Authenticator, on your mobile device.
Table of contents
Installing Your Preferred Authenticator App
- Download the Microsoft Authenticator app, or Google Authenticator app to your device through your devices App store:
|Microsoft Authenticator||Google Authenticator|
Get your Multi-Factor Authentication QR Code
- Log in to your Microsoft 365 account at the following URL: https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info
(If prompted whether to sign in using a “Personal” or a “Work/School” account, select the “Work/School” option to sign in with your Conetix supplied account).
- Click on the “Add method” button.
- Select the “Authenticator app” as your method, and then click Add to proceed.
- Open the newly installed Authenticator App.
Setting up Microsoft Authenticator
- Set up an account to use for the Authenticator App:
- You will be prompted to download the Microsoft Authenticator app, click Next:
(If you did not download the authenticator already, you should do this now).
- In the Microsoft Authenticator App tap the Plus (+) icon in the top-right of the screen:
- Select the “Work or School” option for which kind of account you would like to set up.
- Point your device’s camera at the QR Code to scan it. Once scanned click Next:
- Your device should now prompt you each time you try to log into Microsoft 365. Confirm in the app to proceed.
Setting up Google Authenticator
- In the Microsoft 365 web page select Can’t scan image?
- Tap the Plus (+) icon.
- Choose to “Scan a QR Code“, and face the camera at the QR Code to scan it.
- Once successfully scanned, click Next.
- Enter the 6 digit code into the Microsoft 365 web page from the Google Authenticator:
- Click <next/confirm/finish>
- When logging in to Microsoft 365 you’ll now be asked for a Multi-Factor Code, enter the time based code from the Google Authenticator to proceed.
You should now be set up in either Microsoft Authenticator or Google Authenticator for Multi-Factor Authentication.
If you have any issues logging in after configuring your Authenticator App, please contact our friendly support team for assistance.