This article will show you how to enable Fail2Ban within your Plesk Onyx based Virtual Private Server (VPS). Fail2Ban is a security module which can limit brute force attacks to your server.
- Login to Plesk using your admin credentials.
- On the left hand side, select Tools and Settings, then IP Address Banning (Fail2Ban):
- In the Settings tab, select the enable checkbox and click OK:
- To ensure you don't accidentally trigger the rule from your office, set your own IP in the Trusted IP Addresses. From the Trusted IP Addresses tab, add a new trusted IP and click OK.
Note: It's highly recommended to have a business grade Internet plan with a static IP address.
- To begin enabling of the monitoring, select Jails, and select the jail to enable. Click on the Switch On button to enable this jail. For example, to enable the jail for Dovecot (POP3/IMAP), you'd select the following:
- You should see the jail then marked as active on the right hand side.
- Fail2Ban is now configured and running on your server. You can check for banned IP's and/or false positives under the Banned IP Addresses tab.