An app password is a randomly generated password which allows programs like Outlook and Mac Mail to work without needing to complete Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
With the addition of MFA to Microsoft 365 you will need to use an app password for your email programs instead of your usual Microsoft 365 Password.
- A Microsoft 365 Account
- MFA setup and configured for your user
- Sign in to Office 365 with your username and password here: portal.office.com
- Enter your username and click Next.
- Now enter your email account password and click Sign In:
- Enter your Multi-Factor Authentication Code and click Verify:
- When prompted about staying signed in click Yes or No:
- Click your Display Picture in the top right corner of the Office.com window (This is usually your account initials):
- Now Click My Account:
- Click Manage security & privacy:
- Click Additional security verification:
- Next click Create and manage app passwords (A new tab or window will open):
- Click Create
- Enter a meaningful name for the app password and click Next:
- Your new app password will be generated and shown to you, click copy password to clipboard and paste the password somewhere for use later:
- Once you have saved the app password somewhere safe, Click Close
- You can now use this password in place of your usual email password for any email program such as Outlook, Mac Mail, Apple Mail App or Samsung Mail
If you have any difficulties setting up Outlook with an App Password please don’t hesitate to contact out friendly support team.