This article aims to guide you through changing server settings and port settings for your Conetix Hosted email account in Outlook 2010.
This article example shows IMAP specifically, your connection type may be different.
Open Outlook 2010 from the desktop icon or the start menu item"
Our Windows version is Windows 10, your start menu item may appear differently
- Select "File" in the top left of the program:
- In the new window click "Account Settings" then click "Account Settings…":
- In the new window labelled "Account Settings" Click the email address we will be modifying and Click "Change":
In the new window labelled "Change Account" we can perform server updates, port changes and password updates.
If you are updating only Server settings skip to step 13
If you are updating only Password settings skip to step 14
If you are updating only Port settings skip to step 15
Updating your server settings can be accomplished by writing (or copy & pasting) the new server details over your current server details
In the below example we update from our mail subdomain to our server direct for SSL/TLS compatibility.
If you are on one of our Starter Subscriptions your outbound server will be your ISP mail server, a full list of which can be found here:
Starter Example After:
- Enter your new password into the password box underneath "Logon Information"
Ensure your User Name is your full email address and that Remember Password is ticked.
- To update Ports click "More Settings … "
- In the "Internet E-Mail Settings" window select the "Advanced" Tab:
Change your "Use the following type of encrypted connection" to "SSL" for both Incoming and Outgoing.
If you are using your ISP mail server as your outbound server your encryption type will be different depending on their configuration.
- Change your "Incoming server (IMAP)" port to 993 if it did not change automatically.
- Change your "Outgoing server (SMTP)" port to 465 if it did not change automatically.
If you are using your ISP mail server as your outbound server your outgoing port will be different depending on their configuration.
Conetix only ever use standard ports for all email services. Your ports will be different depending on the type of connection you currently have. A full list of ports can be found below along with their connection type.
- IMAP Plain Text Authentication: 143
- IMAP SSL/TLS Authentication: 993
- POP3 Plain Text Authentication: 110
- POP3 SSL/TLS Authentication: 995
- SMTP Plain Text Authentication: 25
- SMTP SSL/TLS Authentication: 465 or 587
- Click the "Outgoing Server" Tab.
- Ensure "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" is ticked.
- Ensure "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" option has a black dot to the left of the option:
If you are using your ISP mail server as your outbound server "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" should be unticked.
- Click Ok.
- Click "Test Account Settings …"
- You should receive two green ticks
- Click Close.
- Click "Next >"
- Outlook will run a final test to double check settings.
- Click Finish:
- Click Close to finish the process: