Microsoft 365 offers a detailed way to trace emails via message trace. If you manage a Microsoft 365 environment for a client, this is an easy way to find why a message was not delivered or moved into the spam folder.
- Log into protection.office.com with Global Administrator username and password:
- Once logged in, Click Mail flow on the left:
- Then click Message Trace:
- Once the new page loads, click Start a trace:
- A window will slide over from the right:
- In the first box enter the address that sent the email:
- In the second box enter the address that received the email:
- Set the time range the email was send or received:
(This is set to the last 2 days by default)
- Select Summary report:
- Now click Search.
- Your message trace results are now shown:
- Click on the relevant message to show more details:
- You can click Message events to see further details of what happened to a message:
- You can also click Submit message to submit feedback to Microsoft if the message was blocked as spam:
If you’re unsure on any of the above steps please contact our friendly support team for assistance.